CP Nel Museum


About CP Nel Museum

CP Nel Museum

The CP Nel Museum was proclaimed as a province-aided museum in the Official Gazette of the Province of the Cape of Good Hope, dated 10 February 1950. The official theme of the museum is Ostriches through the centuries.

The Museum is housed in two historical sandstone buildings, namely the old school building of the Boys’ High School and Le Roux Town House. Both buildings are declared national heritage institutions.

The headquarters of the museum, in the old school building, is situated on the corners of Voortrekker and Baron van Reede Streets. This impressive building, that houses the museum since 1972, was designed by Charles Bullock and was built in 1906. The school hall, today known as the Rembrandt Hall, was added to the building in 1912.

Le Roux Town House was also designed by Charles Bullock. It was built for Mr JHJ le Roux, owner of a nearby farm, Bakenskraal, in 1909. Today the house is still furnished in the style of the feather boom period.

The museum is named after Col Charles Paul Nel, a well-known businessman. He officially donated his private collection to a Board of Trustees in 1951, a day before he passed away. This action led to the constitution of the museum.

With its unique ostrich theme, exhibitions in the museum focus mainly on the feather boom period 1897 – 1914. The vital role that the Jewish community, that immigrated primarily from Lithuania, played in the worldwide marketing of ostrich feathers is also portrayed. The reconstructed St John Street Synagogue in the museum is today still used by the local Jewish community for special services once or twice a year.

Features of CP Nel Museum

  • On Site Features
  • Child Friendly (all Ages)
  • Pets Not Allowed
  • Reception (business Hours Only)

Directions to CP Nel Museum

GPS : 33° 35' 31.44" S / 22° 12' 7.39" E

From George

  • Enter town on the N12 and continue straight through town 2 kms from the first traffic light.
  • C P Nel Museum is on the left just past the traffic lights.

From de Rust

  • Enter town on the N12 (Voortrekker Street) and turn right into Baron van Reede Street
  • C P Nel Museum is immediately on the left just past the traffic lights.

From Ladismith

  • Enter town on the R62 (Voortrekker Street) and turn left into Baron van Reede Street
  • C P Nel Museum is immediately on the left just past the traffic lights.

Google Map

Cape Coast Accommodation

Cape coastal accommodation with West2Wild Coast

  • English
  • Afrikaans
  • German
  • French
Payment Options
  • Bank Deposit (EFT)

cp nel museum

website design, search engine optimisation by ZAWebs Designs ZA Webs
web hosting by ZAWebs Hosting ZA Web Hosting