Like the ancient Phoenix rose from the ashes, Laingsburg picked itself up after the devistating floods of 1981 and it is now known as the Karoo town that tops all hospitality. Records show that as early back as in the mid 1700s travelers were welcomed by the farmers and affered accommodation, food and fodder fot their animals.
The first erven were sold in April 1880. Just over 100 years later the devatating 1981 flood hit Laingsburg and swept away everything that came in its way. Highwater marks are indicated on lamp posts and in the Dutch Reformed Church, one of the few buildings that remained standing. Most tourists are astounded at the level to which the flood water rose. Only the roofs of house were visible. A video tape of the flood can be viewed at the library, which also has an interesting collection of photographs and press cuttings. Photographs can also be seen at the Laingsburg Hotel.
The town is situated on one of the most interesting geological outcops in the Karoo where geologists have found a single band of white quartz that runs like a chalk line between Matjiesfontein and Laingsburg. Their diversity of material has resulted in geological teams frequent the area. This interest has led to the developing of a geological and ecological hiking trail called "The Block-house" on the N1.
A highlight on the sporting calendar is the annual 80km Karoo Marathon. The Floriskraal Dam, 20km from the town offers facilities for a variety of watersport and angling.